Monday, July 27, 2009

I Give In To Intellectuals who Agree that Obama "Miss Spoke."


You Win...
After a weekend of discussion with intellectuals who support President Obama’s recant statement and his decision to have a beer with Officer Crawley. I give up and leave you in the hands of your President.
My favourite poem contains the following lines. “Take this as a word of warning. If they’re coming for me tonight, they’ll be coming for you in the morning.”
I was never raised to ignore an injustice because it doesn’t happen to you. I don't believe that you go along with the program unless it’s your family member.
In honestly discussing The Gates/Crawley/ Cambridge Police issue I find many of my friends agree that the police/officer Crawley did act stupidly. However, when I voice disgust with president Obama for going back on that, the same intellectuals say that I’m too harsh.
Personally, if Obama were not Black and recanted on that statement, I would be more harsh and critical. I believe my friends would be harsher as well. I also believe that if we were talking about Clarence Thomas or Armstrong Williams, my friends would be harsher.
I believe that by offering to have a beer at The White House with Officer Crawley that Obama sends the message that “it’s okay to harass Black men in their home. It's okay to continue to harass a Black Man who has given 2 forms of valid I.D to police, as long as the officer believes Black men should not be able to be in certain neighbourhoods. And if there are black men there they must be criminals engaging in criminal activity.
Personally I don’t stand with the President in saying that’s okay. However, a number of my friends do. Even more troubling a number more of my friends who include teachers, writers, entertainers, parents and other professionals, some of whom have been wrongly profiled by police, think President Obama having a beer with Crawley is a good idea and sends the right message.

So I give up on this one. I am someone who is in the spotlight and if something happens to my family or me based on an out of control police officer I will take it to the papers, magazines, radio and TV. However, I would be crazy (which I am not ) to get upset about situations that happen to the Sean Bell’s of the world, to risk my standings or anything else when the President wants to have a beer with these kind of police. Why should I care about what happens when your child or family member are attacked by police, when you don’t care as long as when the next incident happens it’s not to anyone you care for? I wouldn't want anyone's child to run into Officer Crawley, But I don't have kids. And if people with kids don't care? Again. Why should I?

My only advice is this. The best way not get racially profiled is to either A) become a police officer or B) get as famous as possible so that if you run into a "stupid" police officer, they may recognize you or you may get a high profile case like “Skip” Gates.
In the event that you do have a problem with police call me. I won’t cover your story but I will want to reflect on the day our President got punked by Cambridge Police and invited one for beer at the White House.

"Take this as a word of warning. If they're coming for you tonight? you're own your own."

4 comments:

  1. Am I the only person who thinks it was more about class than race??? Ofiicer Crawley knew better than to racially profile Dr. Gates so the liklihood of it being racially motivated is slim. Class has yet to be brought up publicly, and knowing the North Eastern US's stand on profiling, class seriously needs to be examined asw the motivating reason Officer Crawley arrested Dr. Gates. Race may have been the reason he was called but it was the reason for the arrest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raymond, We are not disgusted by Obama's rethink because we didn't hire him to be Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. We hired him to run the country. Healthcare, the economy, and the war is much more important than him speaking out in defense of his friend on this incident. Truth is Skip Gates is much more capable than President Obama to speak out on this issues because he has the whole PBS machine at his disposal. I don't believe it was an accident that he was treated in this manner by the police. God has a plan for us all. Someone like Skip Gates can clearly articulate the problem between minorities and the police in a way that will effect change.

    Just because we don't agree with your level of criticism toward the President doesn't mean we don't care about racial profiling. Far from it. You are correct if were Armstrong or some other black person we love to hate, they would come under fierce criticism. However, they are not the President. There is a certain level of respect we must all have for the position and the President himself must also understand his position and wear it well. This is why I think he rethought his words. I didn't hear a recant, I heard a person speaking more wisely. Which is why I love him as President.

    We mustn't think that because President Obama is African American that he needs to take up every cause that involves us. You my friend are perfect for that job, and you should continue to do it. There are so many activist for our community out here, and that's great. President Obama is not a community Activist anymore. You being disgusted by him isn't going to make things better. Only you and I can make things better, by working in our communities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell you what Rock Star. When you get racially profiled let me know so that me and the officer can drink a beer to you having your head cracked. Now how does that sound.

    I am not saying I expect Obama to be Sharpton. But as I said in the commentary before this one, his words have an effect on the way police across the country will behave. If he will allow himself to be punked on this issue, then I would prefer he not speak on black issues at all.

    I don't agree and I will continue to support him. However, I don't give him a pass.

    Lastly, I will remain on the sideline. I have too much self respect then to let anyone know that I belong to a race a people with out the back bone to stand up for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. However, even though we disagree I do appreciate you had the go nads to comment.

    ReplyDelete